Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Spear fishing

I think that science is a wonderful thing, I mean here we can talk with people we do not know and even after a bit you get to where you actually know someone sorta kinda. That is like with this Facebook thing, my wife hooked me up with it so I could see pictures of one of my former students in Afghanistan, heck he is 22 now and two tours of door kicken combat, but he is still one of my boys! But I digress, I have also gotten in touch with a bunch of my old friends from high school that I had lost contact with or graduated above or below me, or from that other school across town JMB!
Well it just so happened that a old frind of mine graduated and left to have a professional diving career, and during the course of e-satation I asked if he liked to fish? Seemed he did some spear fishing, when he would be on decompression stops out on the oil; rigs. When I was younger and living in Guam I also enjoyed spear fishing but on a much smaller scale I promise you, with a sling out on the reefs. One guy fishing one looking for sharks!
So my wife and I are out fishing on the rocks at the Delaware Bay ice breaker walls, when this guy just pops up about 15 feet from the boat, I am seeing a diving flag 100 yds away from the boat in the opposite direction, and this guy is just diving all over the rocks, so when he pops up again I get his attention cause he is about 15 feet from my boat spearing fish coming to my bait. And I lean over the side of the boat and ask him "you spearfishing"? (here's your sign okay) He indicates he is by the fish bag and spear in his hand, mask fins and snorkel. I ask him how much of this rock wall did he lay claim to as he was spearfishing right under my boat on top of my bait. Long story he had more fish than me naturally, cause everyone has more fish than me. Does anyone out there like to spearfish?

2 comments:

  1. I tried it in the Carribean. I had more luck picking the lobsters off the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a particularly sad day a few years back when I went to the Salisbury Park and couldn't catch a bluegill with raw bisquit dough {and I used to be a regular award winner at the annual "fishing derby"}...it was roughly then that I believe my mid-life crisis began. Given these pathetic facts, I am not sure I will be able to do a Bear Grylls and spear a stealthy fish underwater. I want tuna...and a damn big one the way my family eats {a nice Alaskan salmon or 4 would be nice too}.

    ReplyDelete